Thursday 28 May 2015

People And Why I Love Them

I love talking to new people and hearing their life stories. Nothing interests me more.

Through waitressing and being a travel agent I got to meet and speak to alot of people. I never thought I would say this, but it is something that I miss. Waitressing forced me to come out of my shell and mix with people from all backgrounds. Sometimes this was good, sometimes it tested my patience, sometimes it was crazy, sometimes it was funny and occasionally it warmed my heart.

I've collected a couple of interesting and beautiful stories over the years which I thought I would share with you:

I once met a couple who owned and lived on a working lemon tree farm. I can't think of anything cooler. If it wasn't for my job waitressing, I would never have met anyone in this line of work.

On a work trip, I listened to a father taking the time to call his children in Kenya to recite "Daniel and the Lion's Den" to them before their bedtime. It warmed my heart to hear it.

Once I spoke to a gentleman who told me that he takes only one holiday a year, for two weeks, to the same place year in and year out. He showed me photographs of his family's home on a private beach in the Turks and Caicos island archipelago. Beautiful doesn't even begin to describe it. I can now understand why he doesn't choose to go anywhere else.

Courtesy of www.hotelroomsearch.net
Another time there was a couple visiting family in South Africa, who it turned out despite being some of the most down to earth people I had spoken to, were really millionaires living in Monaco.  They had started their oil processing company just the two of them, with a second hand bakkie (truck). He told me that he can still remember how people used to laugh at their small operation. I still have this gentleman's business card to remind me that you can do whatever it is that you set your mind to.

Whilst I was training for my job at Pentravel I met a girl with the most interesting life story. Her businessman father was very successful, but at the point where he was stressed enough to be contemplating suicide. Instead he choose to sell his business, their house, their vehicles, bikes and boats, and buy one large sailboat for the family of five to live on. They then sailed to the Bahamas where they lived for the next 10-15 years whilst their mom homeschooled the children. The father was happier, the family stayed together and this particular girl's worldview changed forever.

I was lucky enough to hear Kingsley Holgate's life story at a Seychelles roadshow (where they teach you about the destination, accommodation and activities) and it was amazing. Again the story of a businessman unhappy and getting older, who wanted to do something different with his life, so he sold up and went on a great adventure though Africa with his family in tow, helping others as they went. He tells stories of being captured, meeting warlords and how he was eventually presented with a letter of safe passage to see him through the rest of his journey. How incredible! His journey ended with a beautiful holiday in the Seychelles with his family. What I love most about this story is how when most people would be preparing for the end of their life, his was just beginning.

And finally there is the story of the lifelong friends who booked a European cruise and then a tour through Italy (walking, on trains, buses and boats) with me. I heard from them when they came back and they told me how it was a trip of a lifetime. About a month later I ran into one of the ladies who told me that her friend had recently passed away from a brain tumour. It had come as a great shock to her family and friends. She was so glad that they had been able to spend that precious time together. The moral of this story is to never take life for granted, and to make the most of the time that you have on this Earth.

I collect stories the way other people collect coins. Some of the most ordinary looking people are filled with the most extraordinary stories. Take the time to ask questions and listen, and you may just find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment